When you are staring at a huge stack of paperwork on your desk or a lengthy to-do list, you understandably may feel intense stress. At times, it may feel as though all you ever do is work and that you have no time available for personal activities.
It is natural to feel discouraged in situations like these, but it is up to you to pull yourself up and to keep moving forward.
Finding the Motivation to Continue
Some workers will somehow trudge through these stressful situations when they are overloaded with work, and they will reach the other side so that they can eventually take a much-needed break.
Others, however, may feel so discouraged that they simply want to throw in the towel.
These motivational tips will help you to keep moving forward regardless of the level of stress that you are feeling.
- Take a few deep breaths with your eyes closed. Initially, clear your mind so that you can relax your body. As thoughts come back into your mind, train them on the big picture. What is your driving force for working so hard? Focus on the reason rather than the work activities.
- Multi-tasking is effective in some situations, but it can slow you down in others. It may be best for you to focus on completing one task fully before you move onto the next item on your to-do list.
- You may feel more motivated to continue if you see that you are making solid progress. Organize your to-do list based on the items that are most important or that have a rapidly-approaching due date. When possible, incorporate smaller and easier tasks in between those key tasks so that you can cross a few more items off of your to-do list.
- Understand that the only way to get these items off of your plate is to actually put in the time and hard work. There may be times when you make mistakes, but do not let these instances bring you down.
- Take full advantage of technology to promote efficiency. For example, you may automate numerous tasks to save time. Automation is available for scheduling emails, making social media posts and more. When you automate tasks like these, you will have much more time on your hands for the tasks that truly require your attention. This may include those that require your specific skills, a touch of human creativity and more.
- Identify the things in your work area that are causing distractions. You can waste dozens of minutes throughout the workday checking personal emails, catching up on social media and more. Your work hours need to be spent on work tasks, so find a way to reduce and even to eliminate these distractions.
- Another step to take is to delegate tasks to other people. Remember that time is limited, and you can only realistically accomplish so much in a day. When you create a situation where you must do more work than you legitimately and realistically have time available to do, you set yourself up for unnecessary stress. Hire an intern or an assistance to help with work tasks, and delegate some household or personal responsibilities to family members.
- Many freelancers or independent contractors struggle with the idea of turning down a new work assignment. While this makes sense, it can also lead to you feeling rundown and burnt out. Schedule at least one day each week when you are not working. This is your time to recharge, reconnect with friends and family and otherwise enjoy life on your times. Remember that part of the reason why you work so hard during the week is so that you can enjoy your life.
- It is easy to let your physical and mental health fall to the wayside when you are overwhelmed with work, but this is a detriment to your life overall. Work in a few meditation breaks throughout the day. It only takes five minutes to meditate, and this can help you to recharge mentally and to reduce your stress level. It is also wise to adjust your schedule so that you can exercise for at least 20 to 30 minutes each day. Exercise can keep you healthy and happy, and it may reduce your stress level. You may find that these little breaks throughout the day can actually help you to stay focused on work.
When your workload is too heavy, it is easy to simply stop working and feel down about your life. Rather than give up or make yourself miserable, focus your attention on each of these steps that is most applicable to your situation. You may find that making periodic and positive adjustments to your daily routine can improve your life in profound ways.