Being diagnosed with cancer is scary; it stirs a lot of emotions and changes your life forever. You find yourself overwhelmed with questions like can it be treated? What are the chances that you will survive? How will your life be impacted? Can you afford treatment? It is okay to get concerned. In fact, thinking of the hard questions will help you prepare for it. Let us share tips on how to cope with cancer if you are an entrepreneur.
Take time to understand your cancer diagnosis
Getting diagnosed with cancer throws your entire universe into a free fall. There are so many things that you want to understand, but cannot at one go. You will need to sit down with your oncologist and ask all the questions to have a clear picture of the type of cancer you are battling. For instance, ask.
- What causes cancer, risk factors?
- What is the stage of the diagnosis? What does it mean for you?
- What treatment options are available? Ask about the therapies and clinical trials
- What activities should you avoid? What can exacerbate or curtail it?
- Ask about the side effects, expected results of treatment, and recovery.
Plan your finances
Cancer treatment is not cheap. The cost of medication, treatment, and traveling, keeping in mind you may be required to be out of your business for a long time, can take a toll on your finances. It is advisable to talk to a financial advisor and hospital to discuss if your insurance will pay for treatment, the effects on your life insurance, available programs and benefits that can help foot the bill, and out of the pocket cost you will incur. Having a clear picture helps you to plan your life and finances accordingly.
Protect your rights
As we noted, asking all the hard questions is vital in establishing the cause of your cancer. For instance, did you know certain cancers are caused by negligence? For example, some drugs you might have used can cause cancer. A good example is colon cancer that is caused by Zantac drug. Zantac has been recalled by the FDA after concerns of uncovered levels of human carcinogen N- nitrosodimethylamine found in it. Luckily, in such a case, you don’t have to go through the financial hassle of paying for the cancer medication. If you have been a victim of colon cancer from Zantac, you can file a class-action lawsuit to protect your rights. In case you have also lost a loved one to stomach or colon cancer caused by Zantac, you can file for a wrongful death claim compensation.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle
Cancer treatment can be weighty and take a toll on your health. Therefore, you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle to enable your body to handle the treatment. Key changes revolve around food, exercise, and sleep.
- On food intake- healthy eating habits help manage the side effects and improve your health. Include a lot of vegetables, food rich in fiber, avoid processed foods and alcohol
- Exercises help reduce fatigue, weight gain, and loss of strength. You can start by taking short walks, then develop a routine that includes strengthening exercises and aerobic activities.
- Sleep- improves your health, attention, and mood. Recommended hours of sleep is 7-8 hours daily.
Allow friends and family to help and support you
Did you know that social interactions have a positive effect on a person’s chances of survival after being treated for cancer? Yes, you cannot live in isolation during this period, surround yourself with the people you love and accept to receive help from them.
According to cancer.org stats, the survival rate for all cancers combined has improved from 39% to 70% among whites, and 27% to 63% among blacks. Advancement in treatment, early diagnosis, and adoption of healthy lifestyles has been linked to the stride. Adopting the coping techniques discussed above will help you battle cancer. Stay positive!
Subscribe to our mailing list
Join Hundreds of readers who have access to exclusive downloads and content