When you have an impending vacation on the proverbial horizon, and you are writing a list of what you need to take and what you need to buy, it can sometimes feel overwhelming when you begin to worry that you have forgotten something that you definitely will need.
It is little wonder, then, that when you are getting ready to pack up your precious belongings, sentimental items, and necessary provisions to make the move to college or university, it can feel as if you are faced with an impossible task.
So, with this in mind, continue reading for a comprehensive guide to packing for college or university.
Check What You Actually Need
One of the most important things to be aware of when packing for college is to ensure that you have purchased, hired, or already possess any necessary equipment or reading material required for the start of your course that will not be provided by the college.
Utilizing the renowned and reputable UC Berkeley GPA requirements at CampusReel.org will not only arm you with knowledge of what it takes to gain a place at your chosen college but also module and course content information that will help ascertain what you need for your studies.
When you are moving house, the last thing you need when you arrive at your new location and open the door to your new accommodation is to be faced with a tatty pile of unmarked boxes.
So, arm yourself with strong masking tape, quality, sturdy cardboard, or even plastic boxes and containers, newspaper to protect breakable items, and a couple of permanent markers, and be sure to organize and label absolutely every box.
Pack Items You Don’t Use On A Daily Basis First
The initial couple of boxes that you neatly pack, seal, and label should be those items that you will both definitely need and use at college yet do not require until then.
Things like stationery supplies, reading materials, and other items fit neatly on such a list; just be sure to strengthen and reinforce any boxes that contain heavy books or toiletry bottles to avoid any mishaps during the move.
Enlist Trusted Help!
Finally, packing for college can not only be a physically strenuous and even draining experience, but it can also be accompanied by a ranging mix of conflicting emotions, and for the sake of your mental health and wellbeing, you should always enlist the help of close friends or family members.
Other tips and tricks for a smooth packing system for your exciting move to college accommodation include the following:
- Load the transportation vehicle carefully and with breakable items protected
- Nestle smaller items like jewelry amongst rolled up clothes or inside shoes
- Ensure all technology and sports equipment are in complete working order beforehand
- Cushion any breakable make-up items or cosmetics
- Use boxes with dividers for underwear
- Tape plastic drawers shut so that they do not open during transit
For more advice on making your big move to college then you can check out our “Back To Uni” series which covers more tips on moving and getting settled in.
Back To Uni: Full Post Round-UpIn this post I round up all of the great University/College related content we've had over the month of September. So grab yourself a coffee, sit back and read up all about how to write lecture notes, avoid health issues, shop on a budget
- Back To Uni: The Essential Guide To What You Need To Take To University Or College
- The Ultimate Guide To Student Life: Productivity, Health, Finance and Food Hacks
- Back To Uni: Reading List, Citation and Bibliography Management
- Class Planner: Free Timetable Download
- Back To Uni: Managing Your Class Schedules
- Back To Uni: How To Take Lecture Notes
- Back To Uni: Food Shopping On A Budget
- Back To Uni: 11 Study Hacks To Make College Easier
- Back To Uni: 10 Tips To Manage your College and Work Life
- Back To Uni: Easy Student Meals
- Back To Uni: 10 Must-Have Gadgets For Students
Do you have any tips that could help people on their way to college for the first time? Drop them in the comments below